Happy New Year

A New Year is so full of promise.  It’s all shiny and brilliant and just begging for a huge new ‘to do’ list.  Since building my own electric car was on last year’s list, along with digging my own natural swimming pool and several other projects that will remain un-mentioned, *ahem*, it is probably safe to say that I start out every year with fairly lofty ambitions.  Sometimes it is easy to get lost in my giant forest of cunning plans and would-be ideas.  (Weird mixed metaphor I know, but it is kind of like a forest in there….sometimes it’s more like a swamp. And in this bizarre metaphor I am like Alice in Wonderland wondering if I could build my own solar-powered Cheshire…yet I digress) 
So when I sit down to review my oh-so lofty ambitions of last year, it is easy to lose sight of what I actually did accomplish.  Funnily enough, some of the best things I accomplished last year weren’t even on my original to do list.  They were things that cropped up along the way or were unintended evolutions of my original goals, sometimes turning into something  new and wonderful.
So this year I am only making one goal.  I have resolved to live the life I’ve always wanted…today.  Not two years from now, not even two weeks from now.  Today.  I’m not talking about earth shattering changes here, I am talking about doing more of the things I love and letting some of the other stuff slide.  I want to go night swimming, I want to make messy art projects, I want to write songs, and read novels, I want to travel to new places that leave an imprint on me for life and I want to spend real quality time with the people I care about.  In short, I want to do more of the things that make me happy and give my life meaning.  So even though my dishes might not get done and my laundry room resembles the Room of Requirement, I can lay my head down at night with a sense of satisfaction that I am living my life to the fullest and not putting off all the best things until some unknown mythical date in the future.
It’s a New Year.  I better get cracking on doing some living.  What are your plans for the upcoming year? Do share….

No comments:

Post a Comment