What's Up Wednesday- June 4th


 Still Waters & the Microcosm of Resurrection Ferns


What's Up Wednesday is a weekly blog hop geared toward readers and writers, allowing us to touch base with blog friends and let them know what's up.  Should you wish to join, check out Jaime's or Erin's lovely blogs and sign up with the link widget at the bottom of the post.

WHAT I'M READING

I could say that I didn't have a lot of time for reading this week, but that would be a lie as I did have a lot of time to watch Netflix. *sheepish grin* 

I love movies though. As much as I love books. They are an exquisite form of escapism. So I'm going to just go ahead and forgive myself for all my binge watching this week.


WHAT I'M WRITING

I'm working on my sneak peek of Book Two of ISIS. I received some great feedback from an Editor who wanted to know "What happens next?!" so I'm trying to digitize what has been living in my head. That's what I get for leaving people hanging. :)

I'm also working on a script for a short film. We're doing some short nature-based films to highlight some of Florida's natural areas. Wildlife. Nature. Beauty.This is totally in my wheelhouse. I am perhaps having too much fun with this project. The film is going to be featured at the Film Festival this summer, so here's hoping we get all the editing done on time. Because did you notice it's June already?! (sheesh, time is going at warp speed)


WHAT ELSE I'VE BEEN UP TO/ WHAT INSPIRES ME RIGHT NOW

Leafless Beaked Orchid

I've been spending a lot of time out on the water. Yesterday, out on the river was absolutely exquisite. Nothing recharges my batteries quite like a peaceful day floating along on still water. One of our kayakers joked that it was so relaxing, that it was like "A one million mg dose of Valium". I want to quote them on our website. Because it's true. It makes your heartbeat slow. It sharpens the senses. It changes your perspective on the world. So much so, that it is hard to reenter the hustle and bustle of city life. 

What else have I been up to:
  • Snapping pictures of cool stuff in my yard. Like the leafless beaked orchid that just popped up next to my wildlife pond.(Buying those extra 2 acres was so worth it. It's almost like we own our very own park.)
  • Making travel plans. I was given free flight benefits for a year and I am determined to make the most of it. New passport photo here I come. (I look like a giddy albino in my last passport photo)
  • Amassing huge amounts of video footage for our film project. This not only involves many, many hours in boats. But also climbing equipment and harnesses to get up into the tree canopy. There is a whole other world up there. A microcosm of resurrection ferns, epiphytes and orchids. Animals that spend their entire lives 200 feet up in the air.

Still Shot of the Canopy Microcosm of Resurrection Ferns






10 comments:

  1. Lovely photos! And travel plans sound like so much fun! Definitely take advantage of those free flight benefits.

    This year is whizzing by so fast! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The area you live in is so beautiful, Kris. You're lucky! And, you've made me want to drag our kayaks out for a day on the water. It's been too long! Hope you have a wonderful week, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love time on the water. If it ever stops raining here, I might get some. Good luck with that sneak peak. It sounds fun. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love movies. And TV shows. Netflix is my buddy.

    Oh. Interesting about the short script/film. Curious where in Florida. I’m in the panhandle.

    Your photos are gorgeous.

    Good luck on the editing and enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, flight benefits sound exciting :D Definitely make the most of them. FLY EVERYWHERE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That film project sounds like lots of fun! And beautiful, I expect too. You live in such a gorgeous place, as evidenced by your photos. That orchid is so, so pretty! Free flight benefits for a year?! That sounds fantastic. I would be all over that. :D As for binge-watching Netflix shows, I'm right there with you. I've lost track of how many series I have on the go. Hope you're having a wonderful, restful, and productive week, Kris!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, seriously Kris, your blog is like a "one million mg dose of Valium." The nature pics you post are always refreshing in the middle of a busy day. Now while my days are busy though, they certainly don't involve boating or climbing through trees to get video footage. This film project sounds incredible!

    How exciting that an editor wants to know what happens next after your ms and gave you great feedback! Have fun working on the sneak peak of book 2!

    And I think binge watching Netflix is sometimes the only thing the brain can handle. It does, however, feel more productive when there's something decent to watch. Have a wonderful week with all your projects! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, your life is so interesting! I agree with Erin - your blog is always such a breath of fresh air! I love seeing and hearing about all of the nature you experience. Good luck with the film project!

    And good luck with your manuscript! That's awesome that you got some helpful editor feedback. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I look like a giddy albino in my last passport photo"

    I usually either have my eyes closed in photos or I look like a tarsier because I'm forcing myself not to blink and it makes me seem completely startled. This is generally why I hide when someone pulls out a camera :)

    AWESOME on the short film! Will all of us non-Floridians be able to see it online somewhere because I'd love to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh - going up in the tree canopy? That sounds SO. COOL. There's a canopy research facility in the middle of nowhere, WA. They have a HUGENORMOUS crane, and in one of my classes we got to go up. I could have stayed up there for days. Seriously. It was so, so beautiful. Seeing the trees from that perspective was nothing short of phenomenal. And being a part of the sky - watching the birds from the air - ahhhh. I would go back in a heartbeat. :) I can only imagine how fantastic it would be to get up in to the canopy in a tropical place!!!!

    I love your photos, Kris! I hope the film turns out well too. That sounds amazing.

    Hurrah for having a current passport! I won't say anything about the photo because I'm not sure it's possible to have a *good* photo. In my Irish passport, I look like I have a skin disease. Awesome.

    Have a lovely week, lady!

    ReplyDelete